Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Laura Sharp" <lasharp@n...>
"Laura Sharp" <lasharp@n...>
Date:  Thu Mar 1, 2001  9:13 pm
Subject:  Chest-register in voice training

I agree. Even my beginning younger students come in speaking like women but
singing like helium-sniffers. I have a 12 year old niece who does not study
(yet!) but speaks in a velvety chest. As I did at that age, she manages to
mix up to an Eb,(2 above Middle C) then turns to air at that point upward. I
only know one woman who speaks in head voice. She's an opera singer/teacher
who subscribes to the bringing down the head voice to an extreme. She speaks
in a sort of Sprechstimme head voice all the time. I prefer my niece's sound
:0)

Laura Sharp