Vocalist.org archive

From:  taylor23f@h...
taylor23f@h...
Date:  Thu Mar 1, 2001  9:19 pm
Subject:  Re: Speaking voice reply(Diane and Mike)

Dear Diane and Mike,

Your points are well taken. I should have said,"some females
speak in their upper-register." I guess from living in Louisiana for
two years I hear a lot of the "southern-belle" voice from females-
which is generally very high, light, and bright. I also believe that
in earlier days more women spoke in their head-voice because it was
more of an accepted norm.
Another important point is that a robust/chesty speaking voice in
a female does not always transfer in a robust/chesty lower register
when singing. Perhaps this is due to the fact that students feel
that when they sing they need to "do" something radically different.

Again thanks for the correction folks,

Taylor Ferranti

emusic.com