Vocalist.org archive

From:  Gina <classicalsinger@e...>
Gina <classicalsinger@e...>
Date:  Sat Feb 10, 2001  1:44 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Teen belter with scary symptoms

Hi,

I have no experience with belting, except that I have heard it recently
when I saw Jane Eyre, Jekyll and Hyde and Kiss Me Kate on Broadway. I
found the tone disturbing, uncomfortable but also exciting in a strange
way. How can this singing style possibly be safe? All I know about it
is that you take the chest voice all the way up. I have heard that it
causes nodules and can destroy a voice in a matter of a couple of
years. Please inform me on this subject...
I used to teach a variety of students as a TA and some of them belted
but I just discouraged that practice in favor of a legit tone. If
belting can be done safely, I am very interested to know how.

Thank you!

Gina

emusic.com