Vocalist.org archive

From:  Ernie Valenzuela <erniev@2...>
Ernie Valenzuela <erniev@2...>
Date:  Wed Feb 7, 2001  5:07 pm
Subject:  [vocalist] great opera & lieder singer's web site

----Original Message-----
>From: Greypins@a... <Greypins@a... < site
>Date: Tuesday, February 06, 2001 9:10 PM
>
>hey ernie,
>
> that's a pretty neat site. i had forgotten what a powerful voice
ramon
>vinay had. i was also glad to see some stuff by leonid sobinov.
don't you
>think uppman sounds like a baritone version of peter pears? hope you
>checked out ruffo. i'll check out herlea's 'death of posa'. i was
>surprised to see he/she? had no hildegard behrens.
>
>mike
>ps. this is like collecting baseball cards

Yep, *she* has quite the web site - huh, Mike? Yes, again, like being
given a stack of baseball cards & being locked into the toy department
& music library rolled into one & given absolute listening control!
Well, not quite that - because there are some singers I'd like to listen to:
the aforementioned Peter Pears (to compare his voice to Uppman),
Bernac, Renato Zanelli (as a tenor) & a whole host of others.

My guess is this site is in a perpetual phase of construction & perhaps
bandwidth's limited to the extent the amount of sound files available...
...a s.w.a.g. here of course! As for Behrens - could be a simple oversight.

Nevertheless, my workday is flying by as I crank away at these
analyses on one drive & listen away to these magnificent tunes on another
drive! The Ruffo selection of Nelusko's "All'erta" from L'Africana was a
real
rafter shaker! The only contemporary baritone I can think of that can
possibly come close to that type of sound is Mark Delavan (& he's still not
in the same Postal Code)! And Delavan is damn good!! Did you happen to
read Ruffo's answer to the question why he did not teach?

EV
who agrees with you about Vinay, but give a listen to Urlus & Paul Franz!

emusic.com