Vocalist.org archive

From:  Margaret Harrison <peggyh@i...>
Margaret Harrison <peggyh@i...>
Date:  Sat Jan 27, 2001  5:53 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] diction: how many vowel

"Vale [^_^]" wrote:

> At singing lesson, which vowels do you study? (and, for teachers:which vowels
do you teach?) All vowels of the language you want to sing in, or not?
> For example, english language has many vowels!
> Vocalize on all? Too many time on exercises!
> Vocalize on too few? Perhaps the learning is not complete!

We (my teacher and) work in vocalese on the 5 Italian vowels, but when working
on
repertoire, in English or any other language, we work to make every vowel right
in the
part of the voice where the music falls. We call that working the music into
my voice.
So that's where the work on the "other" vowels takes place. If it's needed, we
make up an
exercise to deal with a specific vowel problem.

Peggy

--
mailto:peggyh@i...

emusic.com