Vocalist.org archive

From:  Shuff@c...
Shuff@c...
Date:  Tue Jan 16, 2001  6:09 pm
Subject:  Audition Repertoire

Hello, Vocalisters -

I'm seeking viewpoints on audition repertoire. Specifically, what
choices have you made, or choices do you wish you hadn't made, in
order to show what your voice can do in an audition? What would you
teachers/judges rather hear - difficulty of repertoire or ease of
production?

My situation is this: I have been invited to an in-person audition
for the D.M. program at a major university, after having submitted my
pre-screening tape. The tape contained a full range of repertoire,
with some of it being quite challenging/difficult, in terms of vocal
demands. I am currently without a teacher, and am returning to
school (I hope) after a six year absence, a couple of kids, a recent
divorce, full time job, etc. - needless to say, my life is very
stressful right now! I sent my former teacher (who has moved away)
the tape so that she could hear it - she said that it was fine, but
sounded strained, and that I need to be more diligent about
vocalizing (not much of a confidence booster, but she's concerned for
me).

As long as I keep the repertoire I bring within the same guidelines,
I can change from what I submitted on the tape. My inclination is to
pare back the more difficult repertoire and include only those things
which I know I can sing very, very well - even under a great deal of
stress, rather than stretching myself to do the more difficult
pieces, perhaps with strain. What do you think? I am interested to
hear from both sides - singers/students and teachers/judges.

I look forward to your discussion/responses.

Sarah

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date Size
8457 Re: Audition Repertoire R.L.Frye@w...   Tue  1/16/2001   5 KB
8476 Re: Audition Repertoire Mezzoid@a...   Wed  1/17/2001   2 KB
8477 Re: Audition Repertoire snide76258@a...   Wed  1/17/2001   3 KB
8491 Re: Audition Repertoire Mike & Vicki Bryant   Wed  1/17/2001   2 KB
8493 Re: Audition Repertoire Mezzoid@a...   Wed  1/17/2001   2 KB

emusic.com