Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Caio Rossi" <caioross@z...>
"Caio Rossi" <caioross@z...>
Date:  Sun Jan 7, 2001  9:13 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] op. v. pop- the crossover factor

MIke wrote:

> as you might remember from our jolly discussion on christa ludwig
> singing 'candide', i cannot stand operatic singing in non-operatic music
> (although, there are some exceptions).

>would i be wrong in suggesting that you
> would, in a crossover attempt, try to keep your technique as much the same
as
> possible, changing only what was absolutely necessary? (as opposed to my
> approach, which would be to change entirely, almost as if i were not the
same
> person.)

I think it much depends on what kind of music and language you're doing it.
Depending on the kind of music, it may be OK, just like those female voices
on European heavy metal bands, like "Within Temptation" and "Nightwish".
They sound pretty operatic.

But just check out this Portuguese 'traditional/whatever' band: Madredeus,
at www.mind.pt/madredeus ( click on 'álbuns' ) , or directly to
http://madredeus.mind.pt/discografia_antologia/discografia_antologia.htm
and you'll get to the same place ). It'll automatically load a CD cover and
the lyrics to the first song. Roll it down ( by clicking on the down arrow
next to it ) and you'll find the icon to listen to a sample. The first song
is Pastor ( Shephard ). Enjoy it! Then, click on the other songs
( 2,3,4,... ) or on the other CDs.

And also this Portuguese singer: Dulce Pontes, at
http://www.universalmusic.nl/specials/pontes/indexengels.htm ( click on the
little green head next to the cover and the list of sound clips will appear.
My favorites are 'Alma Guerreira', 'O que for, há de ser', 'Garça Perdida'
and the last one, 'Ondeia'. BTW, 'Ondeia' is amazing ( I just don't know if
you'll get the whole of it ).

Madredeus's Tereza and Dulce are amazing signers, with obvious operatic
background ( Dulce, mostly ). If they sang Brazilian music, they wouldn't
sound as natural as they do singing with that Portuguese accent and that
sophisticated version of 'fado'. Portuguese music has this beautiful sorrow,
melancholy, and they express that very well in their music and singing. I
think the singers wouldn't 'deliver' that so well if they didn't have that
background.

I'll be waiting for your feedback.

Bye,

Caio Rossi

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date Size
12981 Male voices Jennifer   Mon  7/2/2001   2 KB
12996 Re: Male voices Trevor Allen   Tue  7/3/2001   3 KB

emusic.com