Vocalist.org archive

From:  Annie Hughes <aehughes@y...>
Annie Hughes <aehughes@y...>
Date:  Sun Dec 31, 2000  4:26 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Re: [vocalist-temporary] REP: English contemporary

Forgive my ignorance her:

Is this a translation or was the original written in
english?

The english text suggests to me a working class man
who drinks regularly - coming home after a binge and
dancing clumsily with his child...who loves the
interaction in spite of the obvious dangers of his
father's intoxication, of which his mother is
painfully aware.

--- Trevor Allen <trevorjamesallen@y...> wrote:
--- Trevor Allen <trevorjamesallen@y...> wrote:
> Here is the complete text to "My Papa's Waltz", so
> anyone with a question to it's child abust element
> can
> make up their own mind
>

> The whiskey on your breath could make a small boy
> dizzy, but I hung on like death. Such waltzing was
> not easy.
>
> We romped until the pans slid from the kitchen
> shelf.
> My mother's countenance could not unfrown itself.
>
> The hand that held my wrist was battered on one
> knuckle. At every step you missed, but right ear
> scraped a buckle.
>
> You beat time on my head with a palm caked hard by
> dirt, then waltzed me off to bed still clinging to
> your shirt.
>

> There they are folks, let me know what you
> think.........

=====
Annie Hughes
http://www.anniehughes.com
"And since life is the sound of the sheep
And the taste of the stew
And the way that you feel
When He touches you
Now your whole life is different