Vocalist.org archive

From:  thomas mark montgomery <thomas8@t...>
thomas mark montgomery <thomas8@t...>
Date:  Sat Dec 30, 2000  10:57 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] Piano for the classical singer

Many singers believe that being able to learn a melodic line is enough
piano background for a career in today's job market. Most young
singers I know are not aiming for a local career; they have their eyes
on a larger horizon. That said, the fact is the 'Pavarottis' are
definitely a minority in the operatic market today. Piano offers insight
into harmony, rhythm and form that a piano-less singer will always
struggle with, if even be cognizant of. Conductors expect more in this
day and time. I'm sure that no one needs to remind sopranos and baritones
how glutted their market is - the more tools you have, the better your
'luck'.

Mark Montgomery

> > My only suggestion:
> > What about piano?
>
> Grrr. I had conveniently forgotten about that. Is it
> really worth it? How much progress can I make, and
> what will it give me? I can currently hunt-and-peck a
> vocal line. No left hand skills whatsoever.

emusic.com