Vocalist.org archive

From:  w.ritzerfeld@c...
w.ritzerfeld@c...
Date:  Tue Dec 12, 2000  4:30 pm
Subject:  Re: Registers, was: Comparison of female and male singers

Mike,

From what I know, the subjects Don Miller used were professional
singers or advanced students (male as well as female), certainly not
untrained singers.
The majority of the subjects were classically trained, although there
was a small number of belters.

Apart from live subjects, in some instances also commercial
recordings were analysed spectrographically. One particular
insightful example was a spectrogram of Barbra Streisand's
belt technique, which, in accordance with the theory,
showed a dominant second harmonic on high notes. Also the
difference in resonance strategy of tenors Pavarotti and Domingo
were studied this way (for this last example see
http://www.vocevista.com).

I don't think Don studied any female voices using classical male
resonance strategies (with a low larynx). That would interest me too,
since I'm convinced that it must be possible for a robust female
voice to sing in tenor head voice (using 'heavy' vocal fold vibration,
low larynx and second formant tuning), sort of the opposite of
a countertenor ;)

This is as much information as I can give. I hope at some point
we can persuade Don Miller himself to take part in the discussion.

Cheers,

Wim Ritzerfeld
- engineer, singer and aspiring voice teacher -
Eindhoven, The Netherlands

--- In vocalist-temporary@egroups.com, wrote:
> wim,
>
> thank you for sending the information from don miller's
dissertation.
> can you tell us anything about the singers studied? how many?
extent of
> training? were the belters trained? what style of music do the
belters
> studied sing? ages of the singers studied? (anything you could
answer
> would be interesting.)
>
> also, i am interested if there were any female singers whose
> registration resembled that of the male singers- chest, head with
low larynx.

> thanks,
> mike

w.ritzerfeld@c...
  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date Size
7563 Re: Registers,was: Comparison of female and male Lloyd W. Hanson   Wed  12/13/2000   3 KB
7568 Re: Registers,was: Comparison of female and male w.ritzerfeld@c...   Wed  12/13/2000   3 KB

emusic.com