Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Jacqueline/Connie" <jaxsobcon@n...>
"Jacqueline/Connie" <jaxsobcon@n...>
Date:  Wed Nov 29, 2000  7:37 pm
Subject:  New singing group/theraputic (long)

Hi everyone:
I just thought I'd share an exciting new group/ensemble
that my business partner and I started this September.
It's called the Hallelujah Chorus and we sing interdenominational,
contemporary, Christian gospel music.
We've always been so enthralled with the wonderful choirs
one can hear singing gospel music that we decided to start one
in our city because there is nothing like that here.
We ran auditions which included hearing the person
sing (some did songs, most did simple vocalises), having
the person sing with us in unison (to hear blend) and also
in harmony (looking for those with good ear) and having
them learn a simple choreography which they then had to
do while singing.
Our main focus was on bringing together people who wanted
to sing this type of music and share it with others.
We also interviewed everyone because we didn't want
major egos or people looking to use this as a stepping stone
to their own solo careers.
What we got was quite a wonderful mix of people who completely
unified in record time. We had 7 rehearsals and had perfected
5 wonderful songs which we performed at our auditorium on
Sunday. We are also scheduled to sing for the Toys for Tots
charity at a mall on Dec. 17th.
In my daily life (teaching voice/piano/musical theatre drama/fitness and
running a gift boutique) I encounter many people. They are not all
positive and happy and I sometimes become a "listener", a "counsellor"
and "someone in the cross-fire of someone else's bad day".
This group reminds me why I wanted to be a singer in the first place.
We sing for the joy of singing and we work together.
Although I thought this would be another situation where I would have
to be "in charge", the group is very thoughtful of being helpful without
trying to take over and very receptive to everything they have been
presented thus far.
Last year was a tough teaching year for many reasons and I allowed
some of my "joy" for music to be stolen from me.
I am now more in love with singing than ever.
Hallelujah!
Jacqueline
www.tbmall.com/slightlyoffbroadway
(gifts/costumes/classes & more)
Read my articles at:
www.suite101.com/welcome.cfm/musical_theatre)
"There's no business like show business"

emusic.com