Vocalist.org archive

From:  sopran@a...
sopran@a...
Date:  Wed Nov 29, 2000  2:40 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] Re: Censorship

In a message dated 11/28/00 11:37:23 PM, thomas8@t... writes:

<< I also wanted to point out that if the suggestion to ban sarcasm was
serious, then I am doubly opposed to moderation. First we ban words we
don't like, then we ban modes of expression we don't like. What next?
Structure of Singing book burnings? (that was sarcasm) Or we expel people
who get under our skin too easily? I like people to make my thoughts
uneasy: it either confirms my belief or enlightens it. >>

Agreed. Sarcasm and irony have been used very effectively by many of our
greatest writers. Jonathan Swift comes to mind.....didn't we just have a
thread going named after his Modest Proposal?

Also, I thought that puns were considered the lowest form of wit. I happen to
enjoy them--as did Shakespeare!

Judy

emusic.com