Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Lloyd W. Hanson" <lloyd.hanson@n...>
"Lloyd W. Hanson" <lloyd.hanson@n...>
Date:  Wed Nov 29, 2000  3:56 am
Subject:  Re: Breathing question (or HELP ME, IAN!!)

Hello Sandra

You wrote:
I did not mean that my teacher says I SHOULD BE TRYING to pause and hold air
in. I meant that he says it looks like I am trying to hold in a last bit of
air in while simultaneously trying to take in the "next breath", which is
creating tension and inability to get a good "next breath". And I do feel
that the tension-though it feels fairly isolated in the stomach and rib
intercostal muscles.

COMMENT: All of the above problems can be easily eliminated if you end your
final note before a breath with a well defined offset of tone. This offset
is created by a slight pulse of the exhalation muscles which then rebound.
It is this rebound that is in the direction of the inhalation and, in
effect, sets up the next inhalation which is done easily and naturally.
Onset exercises train the prephonatory vocal response to be clear and
accurately defined as the tone begins, and offset exercises set up the
inhalation response. Both need to be a part of every singers daily
"warm-up" routine.

Regards
--
Lloyd W. Hanson, DMA