Vocalist.org archive

From:  Karen Mercedes <dalila@R...>
Karen Mercedes <dalila@R...>
Date:  Sat Nov 25, 2000  6:49 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] "voi lo sapete"- too dramatic?

On Fri, 24 Nov 2000, Molly McLinden wrote:

> Me again,
>
> I am in love with Santuzza's aria "voi lo sapete" from "Cavelleria
> Rusticana". I am a young (20) dramatic soprano....forgive me if this is a

I hate to throw cold water on your desires, but first, I don't believe
there is such a thing as a 20-year old dramatic soprano. A dramatic voice
doesn't mature until well into the singer's thirties, and before that it
it may be possible to identify a *potential* dramatic voice - but usually
not until well into the singer's 20s. Who is giving you the idea that you
are a dramatic soprano? If it's your voice teacher, I'd seriously
question his/her judgement on this point. I believe it's misguided (if
not actually incompetent) for ANYONE to categorise a 20 year old singer as
a "dramatic".

As a 34-year old singer who is working on the aria you mention, I would
suggest that you first become very, very sure of the solidity of your
technique. "Voi lo sapete" is an extremely dramatic aria, and there is a
definite risk that a singer whose technique isn't absolutely firmly
grounded will inadvertently let the drama carry her away, to the detriment
of her vocal production. I also tend to think that a bit more "life's
experience" is needed for a singer to give this aria the interpretation it
deserves.

No reason not to play around with the aria for fun, as long as you don't
oversing. But as a serious project, I'd suggest you wait at least five
years - preferably ten - before taking this one on as an addition to your
performing repertoire.

Karen Mercedes

> silly question, but is this aria too heavy for someone like me? Personally,
> I do not find the aria challenging. I feel I am using proper technique and
> that my teacher guides me very well.
> I try to avoid "barking" at all costs. You might remember that I am always
> on the look out for arias that will set me apart from the lyrics and "ina"
> types at my school....
>
> thank you for all of your help!
>
> Molly

emusic.com