Vocalist.org archive

From:  cantare@p...
cantare@p...
Date:  Thu Nov 16, 2000  5:07 pm
Subject:  Re: Older students/school advice

Hi Suki!

This is what I like to hear. . . when I say professionally, I mean
regional houses. I don't really want to sing at the Met. . I know it
sounds crazy, but that tense, star-focused scene isn't what I am
interested in - I just want to DO MY ART! I want to be performing on
the highest artistic level I am capable of.

I suppose this fits in with the "be a passionate amateur" scenario. .
that way, I get to focus on the art instead of having to worry about
where my next paycheck is coming from or when my next big break is
going to be. I can just ENJOY myself, heaven forbid. And I'll make
some extra money on the side.

This has been really interesting. . everyone's input has started to
clarify things for me a lot.

Thanks,
Karena (with a K)

--- In vocalist-temporary@egroups.com, > Suki T

> Hi K!  This is Suki Jantzen, from the Jantzen Opera Company.  I
fully
> understand your concern, and wholeheartedly urge you to go ahead and
study.
>  Good singer-actors are still badly needed all over the world.  I
say
> "singer-actors" because just standing and singing is boring, and not
fair to
> the audiences.  So, along with your singing study, you will want to
study
> acting, and develop the acting to the point where it looks
absolutely natural.

> We just produced "Il Barbiere di Siviglia" here in NJ, and EVERYONE
in the
> audience said how they didn't even need to understand Italian to
know what
> was going on, as the acting was so good.  The singing was excellent,
as well,
> which is the base point from which I start.
>
> I hired singers who were ready for professional careers.  Most of
them in
> their late 30's.  So, there ARE venues for you, and more and more of
them are
> being created each year.
>
> Good luck!
>
> Where are you located?  And what does K stand for?
>
> The ever-curious Leo opera-co. owner,
> Suki T

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date Size
6548 Re: Older students/school advice John Alexander Blyth   Thu  11/16/2000   4 KB

emusic.com