Vocalist.org archive

From:  cantare@p...
cantare@p...
Date:  Thu Nov 16, 2000  3:44 pm
Subject:  Re: Older students/school advice

hi Di -

The reason I want to go a school is not for a place to practice or to
learn languages - I can get those on my own. Mostly, it is because I
need be challenged more than I am. I know a college student at my
level of vocal production would know a LOT more rep than I do. I also
know she would have a lot more experience performing, and she would
also have a lot more people around her to hear her and be interested
in her development. It is hard to challenge one's self by one's self,
or just with one's peers. You have to be around people who know more
than you.

Also, I want to go to school because of the people. I can't get into a
summer program without having references, and how do I get references
unless I'm working with more professionals than just my voice teacher?
How do I develop as an artist without more feedback than just from my
voice teacher? How do I get friends in the business who like me and
will go to bat for me if I'm not in school?

I DON'T want to go to school because I will be deeply in debt after
that, and I will have the life of a musician, which means money comes
piecemeal and sometimes not at all. This is what makes me write an
e-mail like this to the list and ask, hey, I'm not expecting to be
Renee Fleming, but will at least get the training I want if I go to
school? I can deal with not having money, I suppose, but I can't deal
with spending tons and not coming out ahead artistically.

Thanks for the input!!

Karena

emusic.com