Vocalist.org archive

From:  Carol Lines <jlines@m...>
Carol Lines <jlines@m...>
Date:  Sun Nov 12, 2000  2:31 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] Anesthetic intubation

on 11/9/00 10:12 PM, furrball@a... at
furrball@a... wrote:

> Hi all :)
>
> If any of the medical fraternity or singing professionals here could give me
> some advice on intubation vs vocal mask and the effects on the voice, I would
> be most grateful.
>
> I have to have an operation in the next few days and the anesthetist has
> advisedme that I must have intubation owing to the possible length of the
> procedure
> (laparoscopy and possible diathermy).
>
> I am extremely worried about what this could mean for my voice if something
> goes wrong. All other operations I've had have been using a vocal mask.
> The anesthetist has said that he will use a child's size tube ( size 7 for
> what it's worth) and be *really* careful, but I'm not sure of what this will
> entail..
>

> If any of the teachers on the list could suggest exercises to get the cords
> (and abdominal muscles) back into condition afterwards that would be great.
>
> thanks,
>

> Kylie

Kylie, I thought you might appreciate a response from a singer who has had
both the mask and the smaller intubation.

I had no problems with either! The smaller tube was used and recommended by
Stasney, an otolaryngologist who works with singers very frequently; his
office is in Houston. He was not hesitant to request the smaller tube for
my surgery. His office walls were full of opera posters autographed by
world-class singers. He did send a note to the surgeon about my profession.

The LMA left me with an alarmingly painful sore throat, but of course, the
vocal folds are safe.

Best wishes with your recovery.

Carol Lines

emusic.com