Vocalist.org archive

From:  leskayc@a...
leskayc@a...
Date:  Mon Nov 6, 2000  6:16 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] Re: SLS (to Martti)

I have to get in this. I have this same problem-my larynx rises as the pitch
rises. I hae obsessed over this for quite some time, but the last time I saw
Dr. Tom Cleveland at the Vanderbilt Voice Center I asked him about this and
he told me that in certain voice types (like the coloratura, which i
supposedly am.....) the larynx rises as the pitch rises and that it is
normal. I quit worrying about it. I am told on a regular basis that my
voice is sweet and clear and apparently people like to hear me sing because
they pay me. My voice gets fatigued if I sing too low or oversing in a
choral setting. I do tend to have too "brilliant" a sound in the upper
notes, but my teacher told me last week that my tone has "warmed"
considerably and is improving. My larynx does not mind me and does whatever
it wants to, which is to rise with the pitch. Not worrying about it has
freed my voice quite a bit.

SO, maybe it is not all that huge a deal, especially with sopranos. I don't
pretend to know, I just know what my experience has been.

Just my 2 cents,
Leslie

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date Size
6270 Re: Rising larynx in high voices WAS: SLS (to Mar Tako Oda   Mon  11/6/2000   2 KB

emusic.com