Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Cynthia Donnell" <csdonnell@m...>
"Cynthia Donnell" <csdonnell@m...>
Date:  Mon Oct 23, 2000  1:51 am
Subject:  Diction: German r's and how to treat/teach them

Dear list,
More and more the final 'r' in German lyric diction is being treated as a
schwa /@/ or as the upside-down lowercase 'a' (lowest back vowel). I
continue to teach all r's as flipped or rolled with the caution that current
practice is changing. I do this because most voice teachers and many
coaches treat the r's as flipped and many native-speaking singers of German
still flip all r's.

I do not like the use of the 'upsidedown a' because it puts stress where
none should be. I'm not wild about using the schwa either. In both cases
the dropping of the final 'r' as a consonant promotes more glottal onsets
when following words begin with vowels (in beginning singers). Eg. nur
ein, der eine, er ists, etc.

How do you deal with the 'r' these days? I don't teach German until next
semester but I'm really wrestling with how far to go with this detail of the
language. It's probably not worth going into in depth for a freshman
diction class but I want my students to be as current as necessary with
performance practice.

As I listen to CDs of Lieder and opera I hear that most r's are flipped or
rolled and this will always be the sound my ear prefers for these artforms.
My allegiance is still to Siebs!

FYI, I'm not inexperienced as a diction teacher. I've taught it
successfully for 25 years. I'm just trying to decide what to do and how
much to do.

Thanks for listening and thanks in advance for your input.
Cindy Donnell

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date Size
5938 Re: Diction: German r's and how to treat/teach th John Alexander Blyth   Tue  10/24/2000   4 KB
5963 Re: Diction: German r's and how to treat/teach th Ingo Duckerschein   Wed  10/25/2000   4 KB
5973 Re: Diction: German r's and how to treat/teach th Dre de Man   Wed  10/25/2000   4 KB
5987 Re: Diction: German r's and how to treat/teach th John Alexander Blyth   Wed  10/25/2000   5 KB
5989 Re: Diction: German r's and how to treat/teach th Cynthia Donnell   Thu  10/26/2000   4 KB
5997 Re: Diction: German r's and how to treat/teach th Robin L. Frye   Thu  10/26/2000   4 KB
6001 Re: Diction: German r's and how to treat/teach th Dre de Man   Thu  10/26/2000   4 KB
6032 Re: Diction: German r's and how to treat/teach th John Alexander Blyth   Thu  10/26/2000   8 KB
6038 Re: Diction: German r's and how to treat/teach th Cynthia Donnell   Thu  10/26/2000   2 KB

emusic.com