Vocalist.org archive

From:  Craig Tompkins <craigtompkins@t...>
Craig Tompkins <craigtompkins@t...>
Date:  Sat Oct 21, 2000  12:35 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] practical technology

RALUCOB@a... wrote:

> i often have students stretching rubber bands while singing. they'll stretch
> the bands while
> singing passages that have a lot of movement but will come to a dead stop on
> a sustained pitch, sounding 'flat' as most of them put it. if i can get
> them to keep stretching the band during the sustained note, the problem is
> usually solved. it then becomes a matter of transferring the feeling of
> stretching the band to the feel of singing.

I like this idea. I get them to walk around flapping their arms, or stand on
one
leg moving their arms, or even draw little figure eights with their noses to
keep
them from tensing up, or bracing, or splinting, or "supporting", or whatever you
want to call it when the singing suddenly becomes static.

Cheers
Craig, Burnaby BC

emusic.com