Vocalist.org archive

From:  Craig Tompkins <craigtompkins@t...>
Craig Tompkins <craigtompkins@t...>
Date:  Fri Oct 20, 2000  7:00 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] practical technology

RALUCOB@a... wrote:

> to those of you who have been able to make use of the technologies we've
> been discussing, have there been significant changes you've made as a direct
> result of using these technology, that you wouldn't have come across
> otherwise, or, has it, so far, merely confirmed what you had already
> suspected (please show your work)?

Sorry to take so long in replying.

There are many different styles of learning just as there are styles of
teaching. I find that I can't retain a long string of aural information the
same
way that I can retain visual information. This is directly reflected in the way
I teach. I prefer to engage as many different senses in my teaching and
learning
as I can.

I've been told that my vibrato sometimes takes my sound out of the balance.
Using Gram, I discovered that my vibrancy rate is not consistent (usually on the
slow side), and sometimes the pitch excursions are too wide. It was a great
help
to see the evidence as it happened and to see immediately what the changes were
when I altered my production. This immediate reinforcement has quickly evened
out a problem that has been long standing with me.

Often, it seems that no matter how many different ways you explain or
demonstrate
a concept, a student just can't get it, that is they don't readily hear it or
feel it. Gram has been invaluable in providing another means of illustrating
these concepts. Some examples from my teaching include helping students become
aware of unnecessary diphthongs by seeing the formants change at the beginning
or
end of a vowel; showing where preceding or following consonants affect the
vowel;
showing vowel "drift" in melismas; providing evidence of over-aspirated
consonants; showing vibrancy patterns; pointing out scoops and faulty onsets.
In
all of these instances students have been able to quickly rectify what had been
chronic problems by first seeing and hearing the problem when played back and
then observing the results of changes in their technique on the spectrogram.

Hope this sheds some more light on the subject!

Cheers
Craig, Burnaby BC

emusic.com