Vocalist.org archive

From:  Linda Fox <linda@f...>
Linda Fox <linda@f...>
Date:  Mon Oct 2, 2000  8:15 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] Re: BREATH SUPPORT (and SLS)

Domisosing@a... wrote:

> I think you missed the piece, or page, of the puzzle that puts Seth's
> explanations on Page 25 and 26 into perspective.
> Here it goes, page 27
> "Breathing for singing is a very relaxed process. When we say you can
> regulate it, we only mean you allow it to happen so that inhalation and
> exhalation are done in a way that best suits your musical needs. You do not
> have to work at breathing correctly, unless you have poor posture or a
> tendency to raise your chest and shoulders and take shallow breaths.

This was what I was referring to when I said I wondered whether it was
the norm rather than the exception with beginners. I've dealt with very
few true beginners who _didn't_ either take shallow breaths or try to
take "bigger" ones by moving everything upwards.

Also, ISTR the first half-dozen-or-so teachers that I ever had dealt
with my breathing first of all, which was usually fairly cursory once
they discovered that I breathed in the way they considered I should, but
it was still the first thing they looked at, and it has been the first
aspect dealt with in most of the ped books I read. I haven't read either
Miller or Riggs yet <hides face in shame>
--
Linda

emusic.com