Vocalist.org archive

From:  Mezzoid@a...
Mezzoid@a...
Date:  Mon Oct 2, 2000  5:16 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] Re: Relative education level (was: 'opera singer' w...

In a message dated 10/02/2000 9:28:10 AM Central Daylight Time,
LMorgan923@a... writes:

<< I had much the same reaction when I just heard her recordings. It's not
a bad sound. However, the minute I saw her sing, I was horrified. >>

Hey, Bartoli was my favorite mezzo based on her recordings; then I saw her on
video and was horrified. While I still admire the voice, I can't abide the
way she produces it and I think that she isn't singing as well as she was
when I first started listening to her. It's the same concept.

BTW, I heard Bocelli on NPR yesterday - there was a report about the song
"Time to Say Goodbye," and how it's so popular. It was interesting - but
there's still something missing in his voice - the song speaks to me but he
doesn't. I was glad to hear it though, because I'm singing it at a wedding
in a few weeks (thru a booking agency, so I have no say - at least it's not
"Unforgettable") and I was concerned about the high A at the end. My
interpretation on reading thru it was that it should be floated and while I
have an A, it doesn't float ("I'm ONLY a mezzo, you know" - quick, someone
name that quote!). I was happy to hear that Bocelli sings it out full blast
- because I can DO that!!

Chris

Christine Thomas, Mezzo Soprano
Wauwatosa, WI

"Humility is the acceptance of the possibility that someone else can teach
you something else you do not know already, especially about yourself.
Conversely, pride and arrogance close the door of the mind."
-- Arthur Deikman, The Observing Self

emusic.com