Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Caio Rossi" <caioross@z...>
"Caio Rossi" <caioross@z...>
Date:  Mon Oct 2, 2000  1:07 am
Subject:  ABS: Ian's Vocal Fortuity

Isabelle wrote:

>it's the same motion that my
> stomach makes if I pretend I'm breathing a halo of fog
> onto a window.

Loved the tip! Thanks!

> I learned to handle the balance of
> air-out/abs-in by doing the Italian candle trick
> (don't blow it out),

My teacher tells us to blow a small piece of paper on the wall without
allowing it move, but that seems to be the opposite of not blowing out the
candle.

>The feeling of inhaling while singing (or not blowing
the candle out while singing) comes, I believe, from
the expansion of the ribs and the firmness of the
lower ribs in particular. I do NOT hold the breath
out of the tone with my throat (egad), nor do I get
that inhaling feeling by simply stopping the breath
compression (i.e. totally relaxing the abs).

I try do that for two reasons:
Jeffrey Allen, in his book "Secrets of Singing", says that when we inhale
the air duct automatically expands, but tends to do the opposite at
exhalation. By doing that ( pretending you're inhaling ) you can trick the
air duct to expand.
The other reason ( and that's something Id like to have comments on ): my
previous teacher used to say that you should fill your mouth with air while
you sing. Therefore, whenever I sang any vowel I was supposed to have a
breath. with my new teacher, it's the opposite. He says that if air comes
out with the sound it'll be breathy and with fewer overtones. I put the back
of my hand in front of my mouth to check for 'wind', which is not supposed
to occur. I've found out that when I imagine I'm inhaling while singing
there's no blow, only sound.
What do you think of that?

Christine wrote:

>If you focus on expanding your abdomen outward, it's not a guarantee that
>your ribs will expand; if you focus instead on expanding your lower ribs,
>then your abdomen will follow along."

I just tried that and confirmed. It's much easier.

Bye,

Caio Rossi

emusic.com