Vocalist.org archive

From:  Mezzoid@a...
Date:  Fri Sep 29, 2000  8:13 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] 'opera singer' was junior, church

In a message dated 09/29/2000 1:51:13 PM Central Daylight Time,
Axwell@a... writes:

<< Sour Grapes. I don't see anything mediocre about these people. You' would
better off spending your time studying the assets of these people and
discovering what they are projecting that the "masses" find so attractive.

Perhaps you don't, but Lisa does, as do I. Calling an opinion "sour grapes"
is insulting and implies pettiness that one shouldn't infer unless a history
of snarky remarks exists.

I find both Church and Bocelli to have talent but not the technique that they
should have to warrant the attention they receive. Face it, a 25 year old
woman or a fully-sighted man with that same level of technique would not be
heard of outside her/his neighborhood. What they are projecting that the
"masses" find so attractive is a keen sense of marketing. As soon as

As far as Brightman is concerned, I've heard that she is a good actress - and
for musical theater, that takes precedence over a fabulous voice. But for
classical singing - and let's not call it "opera" per se - the voice does
matter most. She's been divorced from ALW long enough that I don't think
that's even a factor anymore; but her connection with him and PHANTOM have
gotten her to where she is now. Whether she stays there in the future is
going to depend on just how well she sings from here on in.

Christine Thomas, Mezzo Soprano
Wauwatosa, WI

"Humility is the acceptance of the possibility that someone else can teach
you something else you do not know already, especially about yourself.
Conversely, pride and arrogance close the door of the mind."
-- Arthur Deikman, The Observing Self

emusic.com