Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Elizabeth Finkler" <mightymezzo@h...>
Date:  Thu Sep 21, 2000  9:07 pm
Subject:  The recording controversy (Digest Number 272)

>From: "Jacqueline/Connie" <jaxsobcon@n...>
>

>Molly and others:
>I really must agree with Eva's list of ways to
>approach this role.
>I always discourage students from learning
>by following other's recordings.
>Recordings are useful to compare and contrast
>one's own ideas and to possibly get a deeper
>feel for the character's emotion through other
>singer's vocal shadings etc. but learning through
>mere imitation of a recording doesn't do justice
>to you at all.

In defense of MY suggstions to Molly about learning the role of the Mother
(which I had to learn myself): Mother has one short aria, and the rest of
her singing is ensemble/dialogue scenes with Hansel and Gretel and with
Father. I've found working with recordings extremely helpful in getting the
basics of a dialogue scene down: words, musical cues, counting.

Once I'm into rehearsals with the rest of the company, I give the record a
rest. I certainly don't imitate the record!

Elizabeth Finkler
http://home.earthlink.net/~mightymezzo/
mightymezzo@h...

"Virtue is triumphant only in theatrical productions." --The Mikado

"Quitters never win. Winners never quit. But those who never win and never
quit are just plain stupid." --anonymousse

4506 Re: The recording controversy (Digest Number 272) Margaret Harrison   Fri  9/22/2000   3 KB

emusic.com