Vocalist.org archive

From:  Tako Oda <toda@m...>
Date:  Thu Sep 21, 2000  7:34 pm
Subject:  singing in ensemble

Everyone has a point - certainly there are (dis)advantages to choral
singing and opera ensemble singing. I only urge the administrators out
there to recognize that everyone is different and may benefit from a
different battery of performance classes.

For instance, the course choices for a young countertenor tend to be quite
limited - it is important for the administration to be flexible.
Programming, directing and singing a Schuetz concert with a variety
of ensemble pieces was obviously the most valuable to me, as someone who
must out of neccessity develop my HIP chops, yet it did not satisfy any
requirements. It was just dead-weight units.

By contrast, having to sing in my so-called "natural" voice in the big
concert choir was a distraction at best. The vast majority of my ensemble
projects received NO credit at all. It's important to remember that the
student's education is paramount, not adminstrative concerns...

Tako

emusic.com