Vocalist.org archive

From:  snide76258@a...
Date:  Wed Sep 20, 2000  10:10 pm
Subject:  Re: College Ensemble Requirements: Choir vs. Opera

> North Texas is pretty large and goes way back as a prestigious
music
school.
> I'll bet they could carry it off.

Thanks! Actually, even as big as we are, this really doesn't impact
THAT many students. We have about 50 undergraduate vocal performance
majors, so we have between 10 and 12 per "class." Of course, the
choir
directors don't want to lose the best, most experienced singers out
of
their groups.

Even at UNT we have the problem typical of most programs in that the
most talented singers seem to be involved in everything! The same
ones
doing leading roles in the opera are the section leaders in the choir
and are, in many cases, already beginning to do the
audition/competition "thing" in addition to trying to finish their
degree requirements (including recitals!)

One of our concerns is to "lighten the load" for our top singers in
any way we can.

-Jeff Snider

emusic.com