Vocalist.org archive

From:  dorisopran@a...
Date:  Wed Sep 20, 2000  4:05 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] College Ensemble Requirements: Choir vs. Opera

In a message dated 9/20/00 10:07:12 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
DCLARK@r... writes:

<< In my opinion, opera chorus is an ensemble, but singing solo opera roles is
not. In an ensemble, you want students to have the experience of making
music in tandem with other musicians. Yes, there are a few duets in opera,
but to my mind, this does not give the singer true ensemble experience. In
a true ensemble, you can't just go your own way; you have to go the way of
the
total group.

I beg to differ!!! There are more than a few duets in opera. What about the
wonderful Mozartean finales, after each act, of course; that is formulaic to
the opera buffa. Rossini is full of ensemble. Vaughn-Williams and Britten
are ensemble rich. I could go on, but you get the idea.

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date Size
4462 Re: College Ensemble Requirements: Choir vs. Oper Tako Oda   Wed  9/20/2000   2 KB
4482 Re: College Ensemble Requirements: Choir vs. Oper Reg Boyle   Thu  9/21/2000   2 KB

emusic.com