Vocalist.org archive

From:  John Alexander Blyth <BLYTHE@B...>
Date:  Thu Aug 31, 2000  9:58 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] Re: Source of frequencies was:Falsetto Recognition

Reg,
But if the resonator for the singer's formant were very close to the
source of the vibrations, such as in the larynx itself, then such a small
percentage would still count quite strongly.

At 01:30 PM 8/31/00 +1000, you wrote:
>so in my series, the 13th harmonic would have a frequency of
>2860 Hz and a relative amplitude of 0.7% of the fundamental.

And in the case of a tenor high C, I think there are other modes of
vibration in the vocal apparatus. Try this site for interesting animations
of suggested vocal cord movements that are a bit odd :
http://www.ncvs.org/tutorial/tutorial/modes.html
To be honest I don't think this is the answer: I think that there is a
harmonic which is the equivalent of the first harmonic divided by 3 (an
octave plus a fifth) that gives you a little above 3000 Hz for its resonant
frequency.john

> This still appears to cause a difficulty for a top C with a
>fundamental of 512 Hz, because none of the harmonics, odd or
>even, fall within the 2800 to 3200 bandwidth, although the 5th
>goes close at 2560Hz with a relative amplitude of 20%.
>
>Humbly Reg.

John Blyth
Baritono robusto e lirico
Brandon, Manitoba, Canada