Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Caio Rossi" <caioross@z...>
Date:  Sun Aug 20, 2000  11:27 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] The quotes you were looking for

Dre wrote:

"The other (different vowels having different resonances) I don't remember,
I don't think it was one of my mails."

My teacher talked about that last week. He showed the places "we're
supposed" to feel the resonances of vowels. He places the /a/ as in 'father'
in the mask; the /o/ as in 'boat' 'behind the jaw' ( behind it's
articulation in the neck ) ; the /i/ as in 'beat' in the neck above the
larynx ( if I recall that properly ) and the /e/ as in 'day' below it. I
tested that in class and got very good results.

" By the way: could it be that your teacher - being a pop singer, probably
used to sing amplified - worked out a technique that sounds well to you,
listening from a close distance, and recorded or amplified, but that is not
really suitable for singing in an operatic or classical way? "

I really don't believe that. His voice is really 'powerful', it goes a long,
long, long distance, but it's not a yell. When I was placement-tested I was
supposed to sing a cover in to the mic. When he showed to me what I was
supposed to have done, his voice sounded as if coming from loudspeakers all
around the room... a detail: he wasn't singing into a mic! Last class he was
working on breath support and showed how it applied to all styles. He sang
rock, Brazilian pop music and opera just like people in each style would
sing, and his operatic voice is also amazing.

"The other explanation of his technique, is that he is actually doing
something else than he is telling you. I can understand that very well: when
I described a few weeks ago, I was trying to keep the room under my larynx
filled with air, I was actually describing the feeling I had while keeping
my larynx down, as I understood later. ;)"

The class before the last he talked about the larynx. He showed what he did
with his larynx: it would go up as he sang higher, but that was when he was
singing rock. He said you're supposed to allow the larynx to move up and
down when singing rock, otherwise it will sound as if you were singing opera
. Then he showed what he did for singing opera: he kept his larynx resting
in the same position throughout all his range, the mouth wide open for
higher tones and all that you already know. Then he made a comment I don't
think the listers are going to like, but here it goes: "I don't why people
say sing opera is so difficult. All you do is yawning, yawning and yawning.
It's much easier than singing pop". I'm quoting that because I have the same
impression and experience: my operatic voice is much, but MUCH better than
my pop voice. When I sing an aria it's surely not as good as a REAL opera
singer doing it, but I do what I'm supposed to do more instinctively, like
the 'yawning thing'. Maybe it's the freedom of pop music singing that makes
it so hard to me.

"Now the quote: SNIP..."

Very interesting. I'll try that next time. Thank you.

Bye,

Caio Rossi

emusic.com