Vocalist.org archive

From:  Rut Jiménez <rjime7@c...>
Date:  Fri Aug 18, 2000  9:29 pm
Subject:  RE: [vocalist-temporary] Over-intellectualization.

I am sure you are not an awful singer, as you say ! Choosing a teacher is
something very personal. The best teacher in world can be bad for you. It is
like when you choose a dentist !

I have been studying singing for eight years now and I know I have a lot to
learn yet. I have had good and bad teachers. I have tried to learn from them
only the good things: what I think makes my voice improve. Please ignore
some phrases the teachers say sometimes about what you can and can't do. I
have also felt frustrated many times. You must practice at home everyday but
don't try to reach anything concrete. Voice is like a muscle, the more you
work with it, the more it will improve. But don't ask your voice for too
much in a day. Perhaps today you haven't sang as well as you would like to.
Well, it doesn't matter. Keep training ! Don't forget your breathing
exercises. Being constant is the best for your voice. You will be surprised
at how easy you sing notes you had found difficult some time ago. And always
believe in yourself. No matter what others tell you. You can have the best
teachers but it's you who knows what is good and what is bad for your voice
because you are feeling your voice inside. One has to respect teachers but
can sometimes disagree with them.

Michael Mayer wrote : >No one can really teach you how to sing, because it
is a function of your body. They can only guide you to a more efficient way
of using your body while you sing, and lead you to the discoveries that you
ultimately have to make on your own> and I totally agree with him.

Please be patient and good luck !

Rut

emusic.com