Vocalist.org archive

From:  Ian Belsey <Idbelsey@y...>
Date:  Wed Aug 9, 2000  2:50 pm
Subject:  Jocelyn:[vocalist-temporary] support - too tense

Hi Jocelyn,

Well, as an ex ballet dancer myself, I know exactly
how difficult this can be, but do not despair! The
one thing dancers are much better than the rest of us
is being completely in control of their muscles and of
the functions that need to be managed. I agree that
it could be argued, why are they learning to sing:
indeed you don't say what sort of dancer they are? If
they're going to be show type dancers, then it will of
course be necessary for them to sing.

What all dancers are able to do is isolate muscle
groups very easily. Now, with their frozen tums, I
suggest you get them first to lie on the floor and
breathe deeply, in and out very slowly to get them
gradually used to this feeling. They will then be able
to fill up their lungs sufficiently well, to get used
to that low breathing that an opera singer (for
example) does, which a ballet dancer does not. They
breathe very high in the chest. When lying down, they
will find it hard to pull their abs in as they would
do when standing up. You have to remember that at
first they will automatically pull all the abs in any
time they stand, so that's why this de-conditioning of
lying down should assist.

The one thing they will also do automatically is stand
better than a general singing student, and when they
are standing, you simply have to get them to relax
their abs and imagine that they have little pot
bellies! They won't much like this at first, but it
will get them used to not tensing up. Dancers are also
inclined to extend their ribs as far as possible,
which obviously makes the most horrendous tension, so
an exercise I have found benefitial, and one that Seth
Riggs mentions in his book, is to have the student
lean forward from the hips, looking down at the floor
whilst they are singing, until you're at right angles
almost! It's very hard to pull the ribs about when
doing this exercise.

I hope some of these are helpful. As I said before, I
know how problematic a dancer can be, but when I sing
now, it is always commented on, how relaxed I am when
I sing! So, it can be done! Hope it goes well.

Best wishes,

Ian Belsey Voice technician. Bromley, Kent, England