Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Colin Reed" <colin-reed@l...>
Date:  Tue Aug 8, 2000  10:11 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] learning acting

----- Original Message -----
From: "Lloyd W. Hanson" <lloyd.hanson@n...>
To: <vocalist-temporary@egroups.com>
Sent: 08 August 2000 03:47

-
> Lloyd W. Hanson, DMA
> Professor of Voice, Pedagogy

This reminds me of a moment reported during the filming of "Marathon Man",
(No no really luvvies, this is more than just a nostalgic actor's story :-)
Apparently Dustin Hoffman, to get into role, had not showered or shaved for
days, and had tried sleeping rough. When he turned up on the film set, not
looking his best, the immaculately turned out Laurence Olivier said to him
"My dear boy, have you tried acting?"

That said, I find it more convincing to try to find some way of getting into
a role. Unfortunately this has its downside when you have to play a
character that you do not like. One that springs to mind (although I
haven;t played the role yet) is Bob Boles in Peter Grimes. I would have
difficulty in relating to the self righteous persecution of Grimes, so I
guess that's when you have to have a degree of skill in Lloyd's "Artifice
method" (if I may call it that".

Hmmm. It's just so much more than notes and words, isn't it!

Best wishes

Colin

emusic.com