Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Lisa M Olson" <lisa_molson@m...>
Date:  Wed Jul 19, 2000  7:42 pm
Subject:  Nun eilt herbei - Aria text

Someone requested that I put my translation of this aria for the whole list,
so here it is. (By the way, for those of you in the Chicago area, I will be
singing this aria on a concert in Palatine on August 20.)

Nun eilt herbei, from "Die lustigen Weiber von Windsor" by Nicolai

Now hurry here, jokes, bright humor, the greatest pranks, cunning and bravado.
Nothing is too wicked, if it serves to punish men without pity. That is a
group, so awful, that one cannot complain enough about them. Before all others
that fat glutton, who wants to seduce us. Ha ha ha ha! He should pay the
penalty. But when he comes, how will I have to behave? What will I say?
Stop! I already know!

Seducer! Why do you set a trap for a virtuous spouse? Why? Seducer! The
outrage will never subside. No, never, my anger must be your punishment.
However, a woman's heart is weak. You complain so pathetically about your pain.
You sigh, my heart becomes weak. No longer can I be cruel, and I confess it,
shamefully blushing, to you, my knight. I love you. I looooooooooove you. :-)
Ha ha ha ha.

He will believe me, performing I can do very well. A bold risk is it indeed,
only for fun may one allow it herself. Happy sense and humor spices up life
and to forgive is well a joke. So for pleasure may one lie. Real love and
faithfullness stay in the heart. Therefore full of trust, dare I to do the
deed. Happy women, yes, who know their own advice (their sly advice).

emusic.com