Vocalist.org archive

From:  Howitt123@a...
Date:  Mon Jul 17, 2000  7:11 pm
Subject:  Freeing the Breath

To the List:

I am an accomplished mezzo and have lurked in the background of this list
for a long time although I have appreciated the commentary and incorporated
much of the information into my own technique and into my teaching.

I was hoping to get some help with an old habit of mine that seems to be
causing me problems right now. I find that I am not always on the breath and
that indeed, I seem to "hold" somewhere in order to try to control the sound.
The result is that I end up "stuck" vocally from time to time. It also does
not allow me the flexibility toexecute quick melismas. I used to think that
this was a resonance problem, but am now thinking that this is a breath issue.

I would like your feedback on ways to use the breath efficiently without
this sense of control or holding. What do you use or suggest?

Audrey Howitt

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date Size
3040 Re: Freeing the Breath Alain Zürcher   Mon  7/17/2000   4 KB
3041 Re: Freeing the Breath LYNDA313@a...   Mon  7/17/2000   2 KB
3043 Re: Freeing the Breath Patricia M Smith   Tue  7/18/2000   3 KB
3048 Re: Freeing the Breath Lisa Miller   Tue  7/18/2000   4 KB
3051 Breathing and excerxise John Alexander Blyth   Tue  7/18/2000   3 KB

emusic.com