Vocalist.org archive

From:  sopran@a...
Date:  Fri Jul 14, 2000  11:11 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] Some questions. . . .

In a message dated 7/14/00 1:42:56 PM, radishes@r... writes:

<< My problem? I am deathly afraid of high notes! My teacher has told
me that she believes (because of my high break---Eb) that I will be a
dramatic soprano eventually, I just have to wait for my high notes to
develop. Currently, however, I can't sing above a high A without
tensing terribly, which is why I am sticking fairly close to
traditional mezzo repertoire. I really do not have a lyric timbre,
it's been rather dark since I can remember (which leads me to think I
might be a mezzo).

How developed were your ranges at 16? Do higher notes really just
magically materialize as you mature if you exercise the middle and
lower registers? Any tips to help me relax my upper register?

On another note: I would love to start doing vocal competition. I
have been chronically ill for two years now, so have been unable to
do anything strenuous. However, I am starting to become stronger and
think my next step should be to gain confidence in a competive
atmosphere, since I am planning to study music after high school. I
live in the Northeast. Any suggestions? >>

Kate:

I think that the most valuable thing you can do is ask yourself exactly WHY
you are afraid of high notes. Most sopranos relish their high notes--they're
the real glory of the soprano voice and the most exciting, empowering, fun
part of what we do. We LOVE to show them off at any opportunity!

In my opinion, you should also forget anything your teacher (or anyone else
for that matter) has said about you possibly being a dramatic soprano. That
idea won't do you one bit of good right now, and could lead you into
dangerous territory.

I'd also stay away from competitions for now--wait until you are more
comfortable with your upper range and can sing soprano repertoire. You are
only 16, and there is PLENTY of time. So don't put unnecessary stress on
yourself. Get healthier, get stronger vocally, work on (gradually) developing
your range, and concentrate on enjoying your singing.

If you do that and still don't improve, it may be time to look for another
teacher. This does not necessarily mean that your current teacher is bad, but
perhaps not the best teacher for you.

Good luck!

Judy

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date Size
3012 Re: Some questions. . . . Kate Reid   Fri  7/14/2000   6 KB
3035 Re: Some questions. . . . John Alexander Blyth   Mon  7/17/2000   2 KB
3016 Re: Some questions. . . . sopran@a...   Sat  7/15/2000   2 KB

emusic.com