Vocalist.org archive

From:  John Alexander Blyth <BLYTHE@B...>
Date:  Thu Jul 13, 2000  4:14 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] Bass/Baritone Discussion Was: What is a Bass (a question of sound)

Cyrus,
My feeling is that you need good *support* on those low notes and that if
you need a lot of breath that would be because the chords aren't adducting
properly. However someone posted last year the idea that low notes in a
bass should be developed "falsetto" which I took to mean a lot of air
passing through - personally I don't go for it.
I think the best thing you can do to develop strength on any notes is
messa di voce excercises - even if the results are rough - perhaps even
especially if they are rough since on some notes you have to *find* the
right resonance and vibrant presence.
I for one would be very interested in any discussion of low male voices,
since the lower end of things is something only faintly addressed in the
literature I have available.
john

At 09:47 PM 7/12/00 +0000, you wrote:
... Because of the volume of air
>required to support low notes I am confident that any and all breath
>support exercises have value. As far as vocalizes etc. I'm wondering
>if you have any ideas or imagery that helps.
>
>A while back someone started a thread about basses/baritones, just so
>that we had a forum for discussion. Do any of you care to join in
>revive this idea?
>
>Cyrus

John Blyth
Baritono robusto e lirico