Vocalist.org archive

From:  Karen Mercedes <dalila@R...>
Date:  Thu Jul 13, 2000  4:13 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] Martin Guerre Question

On Wed, 12 Jul 2000, Trevor Allen wrote:

> Hi List,
> I've just come across the vocal selections for
> Martin Guerre, a Schoenberg musical (I'm sorry if I've
> spelled his name incorrectly), but I'm having a
> little trouble finding a recording. I didn't hear of
> it coming to Broadway, so maybe it was just a London
> show. But I would like to know about the musical and
> anyone's experiences with it. I'm looking for Junior
> Recital material and that music looked interesting.
> If there would be a person who knows about it, I knew
> it would be here on the List.

The show, which I saw here in Washington, DC, is a third-rate recycling of
LES MISERABLES music that, unlike the film with Depardieu (or even the
adaptation with Richard Gere), makes it obvious just how ridiculous the
story actually is. There was one song that was half-memorable.
Unfortunately, I don't remember it at all.

Don't waste your time on this clunker!

Karen Mercedes
-----
Ich sage euch: man muss noch Chaos in sich haben,
um einen tanzenden Stern gebaeren zu koennen.
- Friedrich Nietzsche, ALSO SPRACH ZARATHUSTRA

My NEIL SHICOFF Website:
http://www.radix.net/~dalila/shicoff/shicoff.html

My Website:
http://www.radix.net/~dalila/index.html