Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Michael Mayer" <mjmayer@h...>
Date:  Wed Jul 5, 2000  8:47 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] Re: Seth Riggs, Speech Level Singing,Fu ll Resume and Artists.

Hello, I'm new to this list and I wanted to make some comments, although I
have not been exposed to all of the messages in this thread. I don't know
what SLS is but the descriptions I read in the previous post sound very
natural and in line with what nature intends. I think we need to remember
that an "operatic sound", or any other sound for that matter,(i.e. style of
singing) is not what should be important. The important thing is that we are
using our vocal equipment in the most logical way according to how it is
designed. The problem is our voices don't come with an owners manuel like a
car, or we did not design them, they were designed for us. So we have to
figure it out. Another important thing to remember is that technique is not
something we impose upon the vocal organs. Good technique is really
learning the proper mechanics of how the voice is designed to work most
efficiently and effectively, and then not doing anything more than that.
The idea that operatic singing diverges at some point is at the heart of the
problem in my opinion. Yes, I agree that there is something different. You
should't sing a musical theatre song in the same way you sing an operatic
aria. But the difference is not in the way you use your voice, it is in the
degree of how much voice you use. The full throated resonance that is
referred to is a result of releasing more breath energy to accomplish that.
But the basic functioning of the voice should be the same. I'm not saying
that it is in most singers, because it is not. But it can be, and I think
we, as artists, should be trying to develop that kind of flexibility.
Because even in one style of singing, say opera, you should't always be
singing full or loud, there still needs to be the flexibility to sing a
pianissimo high note for example. So even in the same style of singing you
should be able to use more than one level, or quality, of voice. I have a
lot more I could say, but I'll start with this.

Thank you, Michael Mayer