Vocalist.org archive

From:  John Alexander Blyth <BLYTHE@B...>
Date:  Wed Jul 5, 2000  5:47 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] pitch differences (was bach and basses)

O Baritono Lyrico e Compresso,
Please don't be too impressed - I can only go down to the B that's
just underneath the bottom cello C - two leger lines down. And also: much
as I like to discuss voice, I like to sing even more! I think I got my
pitch notation from the New Grove. john

At 02:40 PM 7/3/00 +0930, you wrote:

>> At 04:55 PM 06/19/2000 -0500, John Alexander Blyth wrote:
>> >Now here is the crux for me - though I don't know how loud Tako's
>> >impressive demonstration was, my low notes don't sound like that. They do,
>> >however, tail away in dynamic level, as I have bemoaned to this list in
>> >approximately this fashion:
>> >
>> >NOTE LOUDEST POSSIBLE DYNAMIC
>> >D2 ff
>> >C2 f
>> >F#1 mf about here, natural vibrato is difficult
>> >C#1 mp
>> >B0 p or pp
>> >

>Johm, I can see from your posts that you have a very impressive voice, but
do I really
>understand your notation? I've always understood that A4 is A440 (a
simple way to remember it)
>and that the scale divisions are middle C up to including B one tone above
A440 - so that middle
>C is C4, C one octave above is C5 etc. By my calculations you are
phonating at the B which is
>three octaves and one semi tone below middle C. Think I'll retire!
>
>David Cox
>Baritono Lyrico e Compresso
>
>--

>Free Conference Calling with Firetalk!
>Host your next egroup meeting live on Firetalk.
>Click here!

John Blyth
Baritono robusto e lirico
Brandon, Manitoba, Canada