Vocalist.org archive

From:  John Alexander Blyth <BLYTHE@B...>
Date:  Mon Jun 26, 2000  8:05 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] sight singing and piano skills

This is a great little list. I mostly do 3., but if it's getting tough and
time is running out it is 1. or 2. Recently I had to learn a role in a new
opera in an difficult idiom, and after trying all sorts of things, the
computer was the decisive factor, since I didn't (and still don't)
understand the musical necessity of the harmonic language: in fact, I kept
on singing what *I* would have composed rather than what was actually
there, until I cruelly drilled myself to do it right.
I didn't have to memorize very much as a child and thus it is a real chore
for me now. The only reason I can stick with Winterreise is that it is
truly worthwhile. Brave, hearty souls who can memorise huge amounts of
truly bad verse (such as in Der Fliegender Hollaender) for the sake of the
music, or simply as a career component! john

At 03:39 PM 6/23/00 -0700, you wrote:

>In terms of quickness, my methods of learning music
>are (from fastest to most laborious):
>
>1. Listen to many different recordings
>2. Type it into a computer program
>3. Sight-sing through the melody line (with piano at
>hand for occasional corrections)
>4. Play the melody line while struggling through the
>bass line in the piano
...>Isabelle B.

John Blyth
Baritono robusto e lirico