Vocalist.org archive

From:  Tako Oda <toda@m...>
Date:  Mon Jun 19, 2000  7:25 pm
Subject:  Strohbass/Vocal Fry (was pitch differences, bach and basses)

On Mon, 19 Jun 2000, Lisa M Olson wrote:
> Is it a little like that "vocal fry" sound? I do this in my
> vocalising, and it seems to help me really connect to my support
> mechanism and keep my larynx down.

Dear Lisa-Marie,

It's different, I think. The purpose of the vocal fry is to isolate the
phonational mechanism from the resonating mechanism. As you will hear in
the below sample, resonance is used. The larynx is down in strohbass,
but IMO, unnaturally so, unlike the vocal fry where a more natural
position is required. Here is the page where you may find the
demonstration:

http://www.mills.edu/PEOPLE/gr.pages/toda.public.html/music/analysis_stroh.html

Please let me know what you think. Thanks!

-Tako

emusic.com