Vocalist.org archive

From:  John Alexander Blyth <BLYTHE@B...>
Date:  Fri Jun 16, 2000  9:04 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] Bach and Basses addendum

I suppose that the role (like that of Wotan!) sounds more impressive with a
big heavy voice - more inherent authority - though in the St. John Passion
I think a more 'Everyman' kind of sound would fit the character and the
situation: here is an idealist who, at the trad. age of 33 is willing to
let the system totally do him in to make a point - too much authority, and
too little vulnerability and he becomes a sort of Fafner-figure :)
On the subject of Wotan - I though James Morris was very impressive, but
I'm fairly sure Wagner had a lighter voice in mind, and most especially for
Rheingold which has even more of a tessitura difference from die Walkuere
than St. John Pass. has from St. Matt. Pass. john