Vocalist.org archive

From:  Nathalie Henrich <Nathalie.HENRICH@l...>
Date:  Fri Jun 16, 2000  2:20 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] pitch differences (was bach and basses)

nancy clasby a écrit:

> I am recalling that in Sacred Harp singing, the tenor and soprano lines are
> frequently uncomfortably high for today's singers. Does anyone know if
> people are significantly taller nowadays than in Bach's time? And with
> different vocal cord length?

I don't think so. I think this can be better explained by a tuning difference.
Nowadays, the A4 is 440 cycles per second, but in the past it used to be lower.
In the 18th century, it was close to 426 cycles per second, that means that a
given note was not associated to a pitch as high as it is today.

Nathalie Henrich

--
o o

http://www.limsi.fr/Individu/henrich/