Vocalist.org archive

From:  John Alexander Blyth <BLYTHE@B...>
Date:  Thu Jun 15, 2000  11:00 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] Wetterfahne (was: lieder)

Dre,
I may well be needlessy complicating things, it's just that anything I
*don't'* give attention to is going to stay sloppy, and I need to keep the
line 'energised' or the pitch will sag. On the other hand, I think Schubert
has this embellished 'eine' in order to build the emotion towards the
really important 'reiche' for which a sarcastic messa di voce is
appropriate, and leading to a contemptuously spat out 'Braut'. So the whole
phrase has that sort of shape. The fact that the repeat of the 'eine'
changes the notes suggests how integral the 'eine' is to the whole
emotional/dramatic structure (though not as important as the 'Eine' in 'Die
Rose, die Lilie, die Taube, die Sonne'!)
I agree with you about the end sound, and the actual sound I make there is
almost like an o (umlaut), though you seem to have made a tripthong out of
a dipthong.
I certainly don't mind your suggestions, nor that they inadvertently made
it into the public forum - I'm sure many of the people on the list are keen
on Lieder, and would follow a discussion of its minutiae keenly.
For myself, though I do strive for the highest standards, nothing is truly
easy for me. One of the things I really like about singing is the way that
it does require my full attention, which would not be the case if I were
more vocally facile. I have a problematic voice in that no other male in
this community has as big a voice as I, and so I have been called upon to
sing a wider range of material than would fit just one Fach. There is
no-one I can compare myself with, though knowledgeable people who have been
around tend in the direction of various kinds of baritone. I must go now,
and pick up my son from his daycare!
john