Vocalist.org archive

From:  John Alexander Blyth <BLYTHE@B...>
Date:  Thu Jun 15, 2000  10:17 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] Bach and Basses addendum

Tako,
The Eulenberg score of the St. John Passion has the choral basses mostly
in a normal range, the very lowest note being the final Eb, though who
knows what the actual pitch was. Since the organ is included in the score
this may have been 'only' a flattish F, or something. Also, despite Jesus'
lower tessitura in John vs. Matt., his only really low notes are on
unstressed syllables, lightly accompanied and rather scarce, hardly rock
solid.
john