Vocalist.org archive

From:  Edward Norton <belcantist2003@y...>
Date:  Fri Mar 7, 2003  10:45 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Rednecks

Dear Michelle & Listers:
You can get a pretty good idea of the Southeastern USA from "Places In The
Heart", "Driving Miss Daisy", "Fried Green Tomatoes", "Forrest Gump", etc, etc.
Here we have "Outback Steakhouse Restaurants" which magnet the rednecks! I'm
sure they would enjoy the areas of Australia which you have described!
I've always wanted to see what Dame Nellie Melba's home there looked like. She
and Dame Joan Sutherland have always fascinated me! Dame Joan was simply
delightful when I met her in the early '80's! Phenominal artist and lovely
person all rolled up into one! Got two hugs and a handshake there.
I've an original edition of Winifred Ponder's "Clara Butt: Her Life-Story" and
page 138 has been left in my copy. Legend has it that Dame Clara had that page
removed due to a quote of Dame Nellie Melba that the coloratura flew hot over:
"So you're going to Australia?" she (Melba) said. "Well, I made twenty thousand
pounds on my tour there, but of course that will never be done again. Still,
it's a wonderful country, and you'll have a good time. What are you going to
sing? All I can say is--sing 'em muck! It's all they can understand!" This
quotation builds the case for your ability to get the "Geezer" stuff into your
recitals, Michelle! Your Australian version of our "rednecks" will not have any
idea whether you're character in the selection is a man, woman, koala or
kangaroo! Ignorance, in this instance, could indeed be very blissful!
Keep us posted!
Ed

emusic.com