Vocalist.org archive

From:  Karen Mercedes <dalila@R...>
Date:  Thu Mar 6, 2003  10:58 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Need Help Finding A Throat Lubricant

I find that water with a bit of sugar or honey dissolved in it works for
me.

In extreme dry situations, I find a portable steamer (the kind designed
for steaming one's face or sinuses) is a great help. I have yet to find
one of these that runs on batteries, however - I've always wanted one I
could use on an airplane, where I usually resort to drinking tons of
water, and keeping a moist washrag with me and breathing through it
periodically.

Use glycerin-based lozenges such as Grether's Black Currant Pastilles or
Pine Brothers Honey lozenges - look for glycerine in the ingredients of
whatever lozenge you choose. If you've actually got inflamed mucuous
membranes, you might want to consider using lozenges and or tea in which
the main ingredient is slippery elm (ulmus fulva), such as Thayer's
Slippery Elm Throat Lozenges.

Tablets or syrups in which the main ingredient is Guaifenesin can also
help, though these are medicines, and you may not want to go to that
extreme.

Don't drink anything with caffeine in it - at all, if your problem is
chronic, or at least not during the day that you need to sing.

Take a hot steamy shower whenever you get off a plane, and before you're
going to sing.

Consider keeping a humidifier going near your bed, by your desk at work,
etc.

You may also want to try a throat spray like Entertainer's Secret or Snore
Fix, both of which are designed to keep the back of the throat moist. The
latter contains glycerin and water as its main ingredients.

Karen Mercedes
http://www.radix.net/~dalila/index.html
O music, that openest the abysses of the soul!
Thou dost destroy the normal balance of the mind.
- Romain Rolland, JEAN-CHRISTOPHE

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date
23176 Re: Need Help Finding A Throat Lubricantbjjocelyn  Fri  3/7/2003
23179 Re: Need Help Finding A Throat Lubricantnorma bowensingerteacher85 Sat  3/8/2003
emusic.com