Vocalist.org archive

From:  Reg Boyle <bandb@n...>
Date:  Sat Feb 22, 2003  2:23 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] MB "queen for a day"

But Ed Ed...we see the lot here in Australia on cable TV you know.
Even the unending re-runs. I feel that anyone who has worked to
"perfect" his or her art would be far less likely to carry on like a
an upstart unless there was some good reason. Of course that
requires a value judgement based on the facts of the situation
which are often only known to the people in the immediate
area. I would be very slow to judge such people even that little
American singer who charges the earth AND throws tantrums.
Reg.

>Hi, Michelle!
>Nathan Lane is out, but word has it that he's a real "temperamental prima
donna"! Of course the original temperamental prima donna was Australia's
own Dame Nellie Melba! Melba's rude behavior has become legendary, in
spite of a whitewashing by a PBS miniseries shown here back in the 80s.
Lane recently agreed to do a charity appearance in the NYC area and the
promoter worked for weeks on getting him into their lineup! At the last
minute Lane tried to wus out on this appearance leaving the promoter high
and dry. The promoter then informed Lane he'd lose his job if Lane refused
to show. Lane could have cared less! Fame has gone straight (OOPS!) to
Lane's head!
>We take it for granted here that you in Australia (and Great Britain as
well) see all of our tv (the PBS stuff like the Melba miniseries and major
network stuff like The Music Man remake) proably because we see alot of
British tv here! A good deal of the stuff we see here, tho, is decades old
(i.e. "Are You Being Served?" (which includes a performance by a supposedly
straight British actor of a queen that makes any effort of MB, Lane or
Preston PALE by comparison!), "Keeping Up Appearances", "Eastenders", "To
The Manor Born", etc, etc. It really is sad that our countries don't do
more in the way of sharing of the tv stuff!
>Ed

emusic.com